Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Paying bonuses to have our services cut


Back from my travels in China (wow, what a place!), struggling with the muzzy-headed feeling of jet lag. If anyone knows of a cure for jet lag, please send it along. I try this, I try that, but no matter what I still come home to several days of cloudy thinking and weird sleeping habits.
Must admit, I've enjoyed having a break from the news these past two weeks. I woke up to this morning's headlines in the Globe and remembered why I needed the break - so much of the news makes my blood boil, and who needs that first thing in the morning when they can't think straight to begin with?
Here's the one that got me going, detailing the bonuses federal civil servants stand to get if they can cut public services sufficiently. How crazy is it for us to be paying our taxes to government so that they can give themselves handsome bonuses for cutting our services? We can presume this is some strategy taken from the books of the big corporations, but it makes no sense when you're talking about a taxpayer-funded structure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Receiving a bonus for doing their job. Wish I could get a deal like that. Isn't this the definition of conflict of interest?

Unknown said...

I could see a bonus if they increased service for lower cost without gutting the workers. Usually the most cost effective is to get rid of the senior bureaucrats.